A Little Background on St Patrick
St. Patrick, the patron saint of the island of Ireland, was born in Britain. Despite the fact that he was the son of wealthy parents, he was kidnapped when he was sixteen years old by a group of Irish raiders. He spent six years as a prisoner and worked as a shepherd in Ireland. During this difficult time in his life, he became a Christian. After roughly six years of captivity, it is said he had a vision that told him to escape and leave Ireland. He returned to Britain, only to once again come back to Ireland to become a missionary.
St Patrick's Day
Why do we celebrate St. Patrick's Day on March 17th? It is said that is the day around 460 A.D. that St. Patrick passed away. Since then, Irish Christians have earmarked March 17th as the celebration of their patron saint.
America began the tradition of wearing green on St. Patrick's Day. New York has hosted a huge parade each year on this day in March. More than three million people now attend this popular event each year!
Some Ways to Celebrate St Paddy's Day
What are some ways you can celebrate St. Patrick's Day this year? How about having a St. Patrick's Day party? Here are a few ideas on how to make the party a one-of-a-kind event for your guests.
- Cover your dining room table with a bright and festive green table cloth
- Use green Christmas lights along your sideboard or buffet for "natural" light
- Fill vases with greenery, fern fronds and other green plants in glass vases and place them on the table and throughout the party room.
- Add green Christmas light sets to spruce up artificial plants throughout the house
- Serve green food! Apples, vegetable pizza with broccoli, green pudding, green chocolate covered pretzels and of course, green beverages
- Welcome your guests by lining your walkway and front door entrance with green mini lights
- Have your guests wear green - green pants, shoes, socks, shirts, ties, hats, and even hair if they like
St. Patrick's Day is the perfect time to celebrate, even if you aren't Irish. So, take the opportunity to have some fun, decorate with green Christmas light sets just for fun, eat great food, and have fun with friends.